skip to content

< Early Canberra Government Schools

Jeir Public School [1878 - 1924]

Jeir began in 1878, as a Half time school paired with Bedellick. Richard Jordan was the prime instigator and subsequent Secretary of the School Board.

Jeremiah McAuliffe, adjacent land-holder and staunch catholic, won the contract to build a new school in 1884 for £185. Jeir operated as a Public school until 1894, but after that was either a Provisional school, temporarily closed, or Half time with Griffiths Flat (1900-05), Toual (1912-18), or Gooda Creek (1923-24).

A request from teacher Mary Hudson in 1885 to close the school due to 'diptheria and severe colds' amongst the pupils was granted, but a request to close the school for Yass Show Day in 1896 was refused. Yass was 'too far away'.....

In May 1917 local residents were paid £45 to move the school two miles up Nanima Road (Ed Bush's Portion 235), so as to be more accessible to local families. In 1919 teacher Martin Feld was authorised to spend up to £14 on lining the school, provided that the residents did all the work. The school closed in 1924, and was sold to Mr C Butt of 'Hillview', Nanama Creek, for £5.5.0 in 1928.

Fund-raising Ball at Jeir

The ball in aid of the Jeir School funds on Friday night must rank as the most successful function of the year in this neighborhood. The station grainary, kindly lent by the popular manager, Mr. F. H. Johnston, was crowded with a smiling throng of pleasure seekers. The day had been boisterous, and bushfires had broken out in many surround ing parts, otherwise the attendance would have about constituted a record.

Elliott's Town Band was engaged and proved a great attraction. This was a happy step on the part ot the manage ment. The room was tastefully decorated with flowers and greenery. The most noticeable feature was the harmonious and pleasant manner in which everything passed off. At most country balls some of the boys become slightly 'elevated' towards morning; but on this occasion there was nothing to cause a blush even to the principal of a young ladies' seminary. Owing to the great crush there was not sufficient seating accommodation at the tables and the scene outside the door of the supper-room reminded one forcibly of an eager crowd battling for positions outside a popular eating house on holiday festivals in Sydney. They were a smiling, chatty, and well-behaved assemblage.

A very choice spread was provided. The ladies who did the catering were as follows:— Mesdames Walter Munday, J. McAuliffe, J. Bush, S. McKenzie, W. Pateman, and Misses Sumner, Southwell and Lowe. These were all connected with the school. The thanks of the committee are due to Mrs. T. McAuliffe and Mrs. Desmond, who volunteered their assistance, and sent along tasty baskets. Mr. T. McAuliffe and the station people did all they could to push the affair along. Miss N. McAuliffe, Miss Bush, Mrs. Munday, and Misses Sumner, Pateman and White looked after the supper arrangements.

The secretary, Mr. J. F. Heazlett, attended to the visitors in his usual cheerful manner, and was ably assisted by Messrs. T. McAuliffe senr., R. Bush and T. McAuliffe jnr. Mr. J. Boyd was a capable M.C., and Mr. P. Vallance and Mr. S. Davis supplied the extras in the musical line. The proceeds amounted to over £13, and after expenses are defrayed a balance of upwards of £ 10 will remain on hand.

[Yass Evening Tribune 8 December 1904, p. 2]

Location Map


NSW Government schools from 1848

< Early Canberra Government Schools

If you are able to assist our work of identifying, documenting, and celebrating the early bush schools of the Canberra region, please contact us or .